Potato mince casserole with melted chorizo butter
Usually a casserole is covered with a layer of cheese. In today’s creation, however, this layer is crowned by an initially frozen butter plate with spicy chorizo, which melts in the oven and covers the potato rolls and meatballs underneath with a spicy layer – this potato mince casserole is truly something very special.
Preparation time: 1 H
Baking time: 35 min
Difficulty level: medium
For this you need:
For the meatballs:
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 onion cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 20 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Salt pepper
For the butter plate:
- 200 g soft butter
- 50 g chorizo cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- coarse salt
- coarse pepper
- Casserole dish, dimensions: 23 x 23 cm
- Parchment paper
That is how it goes:
1. First mix together all the ingredients for the butter plate. Then flatten the mixture between two pieces of baking paper – so far that it is slightly smaller than your baking dish. Then place the plate in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
2. Peel the potatoes. Cut the ends off 9 potatoes. Use a potato peeler to cut the roughly 4 cm thick potato center pieces into ribbons. Cook the remaining potatoes and the potato ends in salted water.
3. Roll up the potato ribbons and fix them with toothpicks if necessary. Soak them in water until they come into the baking dish later.
4. Mix the ingredients for the minced meat together. Then shape this into meatballs, ideally 25 pieces.
5. Place the cooked potatoes and the potato ends in the baking dish, mash them and place the meatballs on top.
6. Take the potato rolls out of the water, drain them or pat them dry a little. Then place the potato rolls on the meatballs.
7. Remove the butter plate from the freezer, remove the parchment paper and place the plate on top of the potato rolls.
8. Then bake the potato mince casserole for 35 minutes at 170 ° C fan oven.
The melted chorizo butter gives the potato mince casserole an exceptionally spicy aroma. In addition, thanks to the vertical potato rolls and the small meatballs, it also looks absolutely delicious – this potato mince casserole is the perfect mix of classic home cooking and innovative ideas.
Do you love butter? Then we’ll show you 7 different ways to make butter yourself at home.