Pizza dough with savoy cabbage and apples wrapped in bacon
Today fresh fruit meets crunchy cabbage and delicious pizza dough. Let yourself be inspired by this award-winning recipe and look forward to a hearty cake that combines pizza dough, savoy cabbage, apples and bacon in a very special way.
For this you need:
For the pizza dough:
- 40 g fresh yeast
- 600 grams of flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 240 ml lukewarm water
For the filling:
- 650 g savoy cabbage
- 200 g grated mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml whipped cream, at least 30% fat content
- 300 g sliced bacon
- 3 apples
- Baked peas to weigh down
- Springform pan, diameter: 26 cm
That is how it goes:
1. For the pizza dough, first crumble the fresh yeast and dissolve it in lukewarm water. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the middle, pour in the yeast mixture and the olive oil and knead everything into a smooth dough. Then cover the pizza dough with a cloth and let it rise in a warm place for at least an hour until the mixture has doubled.
2. Cut the savoy cabbage into strips and cook it in salted water for 3 minutes. Then put it in cold water, place it in a cloth and squeeze the water out of it.
3. Mix the squeezed out savoy cabbage with mozzarella and season to taste with caraway, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Mix the eggs with the whipped cream and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut two apples into wedges and wrap each wedge in half a slice of bacon. Then fry the bacon-wrapped apples on both sides.
6. Roll out 2/3 of the pizza dough and place it in a greased and floured springform pan. Trim off any excess dough, but make sure to leave some edge.
7. Cover the pizza dough with baking paper and weigh it down with baking peas, for example.
Roll out the remaining pizza dough into two slices. Each slice should be big enough to fit in the baking dish.
Bake the pizza dough weighted down in the baking dish and the pizza slices for 10 minutes at 220 ° C fan oven.
8. Then let the pre-baked pizza dough cool down; then remove the baked peas and parchment paper.
Cover the pizza dough base in the springform pan with some savoy cabbage, then cover it with half of the apples wrapped in bacon and cover them in turn with a little savoy cabbage.
9. Spread 1/3 of the egg-cream mixture on top and cover it with one of the slices of pre-baked pizza dough.
10. Now layer again savoy cabbage, apples wrapped in bacon, savoy cabbage, egg-cream mixture and a pizza dough slice.
11. Cover the second slice of pizza dough with savoy cabbage and spread the rest of the egg-cream mixture over it. Then bake the whole thing for 40 to 50 minutes at 170 ° C fan oven. Cut the third apple into wedges and after about 35 minutes of baking, place them on top of the cabbage along with a few raw slices of bacon.
After removing the springform pan, this dish looks confusingly similar to a sweet cake, even though it is savory in nature. Pizza dough is not only ideal for topping, but also as a hearty cake base – especially in combination with savoy cabbage, mozzarella and apples wrapped in bacon, the preparation culminates in a fruity-hearty eating pleasure.
Do you like to use your springform pan for hearty dishes? Then be sure to try our delicious potato quiche.