Delicious with mashed potatoes, choux pastry and sausages
Mashed potatoes are actually an inconspicuous side dish that is often served with unusual roast creations with a matching sauce; Unfortunately, mashed potatoes never play the main role in these dishes – that is changing today.
If mashed potatoes are mixed with choux pastry, they can be made into attractive and delicious dishes. Sausages wrapped in mashed potatoes or potato towers straight from the muffin tray – with these preparation options, ordinary mashed potatoes easily become a star on the plate.
Preparation time: 30 min
Baking time: 10 min
Difficulty level: easy
For this you need:
For the mashed potatoes:
- 900 g floury potatoes
- 3 egg yolks
For the choux pastry:
- 30 g butter
- 110 ml of water
- 60 g flour
- 1 egg
- Muffin tin
- 4 wooden skewers
- 4 sausages
- Piping bag with star nozzle
- Oil for deep-frying
That is how it goes:
1. Peel the potatoes and cook them in salted water. Then pour off the water and mash the potatoes along with the egg yolks; season the mashed potatoes with salt and nutmeg.
2. For the choux pastry, first boil water and butter together with a pinch of salt. Then add the flour and stir everything until the dough has formed into a ball.
3. Then add the egg and stir it in until a homogeneous mass has formed again.
4. Now mix the mashed potatoes with the choux pastry and pour the mixture into a piping bag.
5. Turn over a muffin tin and grease it. Now spray the mashed potatoes mixed with choux pastry around three muffin troughs so that small turrets form. Then place the muffin tin in the freezer for about 1.5 hours.
6. Now remove the mashed potato turrets from the muffin tray and deep-fry them for 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown.
7. Now prick the sausages on wooden skewers and cover them with potato choux pastry.
8. Then deep-fry the mashed potato sausages for 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown.
You can serve the mashed potato sausages mixed with choux pastry and then fried, and the mashed potato bowls with any sauce, fresh salad or – as we did – with delicious pulled pork and gravy. No matter what you choose: the mashed potatoes will be the eye-catcher on your plate.
Do mashed potatoes play the main role for you from now on? Then these hearty nests should land on your plate next.