Chocolate cake meets ice cream cake! With caramel sauce and Twix
If you are looking for a spectacular birthday cake, you’ve come to the right place! The following beauty is a mixture of chocolate cake and ice cream cake. Several layers of chocolate cake, shortbread, ice cream with Twix and caramel sauce make for the most epic birthday cake of all time. At the end there is a nice shiny chocolate ganache, a love message in the form of sugar writing and a few roses made of chocolate cream on top. Curtain up for the new star in cake heaven!
For this you need:
For the chocolate cake:
- 300 g flour (200 g type 550 and 100 g type 405)
- 2 eggs
- 110 ml of vegetable oil
- 240 ml buttermilk
- 240 ml of lukewarm water
- 90 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 250 grams of sugar
For the shortbread:
- 120 g soft butter
- 100 g of sugar
- 250 g flour (type 405)
- 1 egg
For the chocolate ganache:
- 212 g of water
- 426 g of sugar
- 426 grams of glucose
- 426 g chopped dark chocolate
- 284 g sweetened condensed milk
- 226 g gelatin (weight refers to the soaked and squeezed gelatin)
For the caramel sauce:
- 400 g of cream
- 80 g glucose
- 480 g sugar
- 40 g soft butter
- approx. 1.5 kg vanilla ice cream
- Caramel candies
- Twix bars
- Chocolate cream
- Sugar glaze (lemon juice or egg white mixed with powdered sugar)
- Springform pan, diameter: 18 cm (should be ice cold)
That is how it goes:
1. First you prepare the chocolate cake. All ingredients should be at room temperature. Mix everything in a bowl with a whisk. Pour the dough into a greased springform pan and put it in the preheated oven at 180 ° C top / bottom heat for about 60 minutes. Then let the cake cool completely. Then cut off the lid and cut the rest of the cake into 2 equally thick slices.
2. For the shortbread you knead all the ingredients together and then wrap the dough in foil. Put it in the cold for about 1 hour. Then roll out the dough approx. 1-1.5 cm thick and cut it out in a round shape (diameter: 18 cm). Prick the dough in several places with a fork. Then bake the shortbread at 160 ° C top / bottom heat for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Then let it cool completely.
3. Before starting to assemble the cake, the caramel sauce must be prepared. To do this, boil the cream once and set it aside for a moment. Warm glucose in a tall saucepan. Gradually add sugar. When the caramel has a nice brown color, the warm cream can be added gradually. Stir them in well (be careful, the caramel is hot!). Let everything cool to about 35 ° C and then stir in the butter. Let the caramel sauce cool in the refrigerator.
4. Now we come to the assembly. Place half of the ice cream on a cold stone slab – the stone slab must have been in the freezer for at least 2 hours – and add Twix bars and caramel candies. Chop and mix everything together and place in a springform pan. Spread the ice cream evenly and press firmly. Then add the homemade caramel sauce to the ice cream.
5. Then place a cake slice and the shortbread in the springform pan.
6. Then you put another layer of ice cream with Twix and caramel candies in the mold. Spread, press down and pour caramel sauce on top.
7. Finally, the second cake slice comes into the mold. Place a plate on the pan and turn the cake over completely. Remove the springform pan and put the cake in the freezer for another 2 hours.
8. For the chocolate ganache, you heat water with sugar and glucose in a saucepan. Heat everything to 105 ° C. (It is best to use a thermometer to check).
9. Put the chocolate, condensed milk and gelatin in a tall container and pour the boiling water and sugar mixture over it. Emulsify everything with a hand blender. (Do not put the ganache on the cake until it has cooled to 30 ° C.)
10. Pour the chocolate ganache over the cake and let it set.
11. Decorate the cake with sugar script, chocolate cream and chopped Twix bars.
Probably the most beautiful and extraordinary birthday cake is ready. A must for everyone who counts chocolate and caramel as their favorite dish. A chocolate cake that deserves a medal in terms of both taste and appearance.
Do you fancy the matching ice cream? Here you can find Twix as a popsicle.