Apple pie with chocolate frosting, brittle and coconut flakes
There are as many recipes for apple pie as there are a dime a dozen. Whether from the tin, from the bundt cake or from the springform pan – everyone swears by their own favorite recipe. Today we present you a spectacular apple cake with 3 “floors”, lots of chocolate frosting, apple wedges swirled in honey and a bombastic look. The recipe may be a bit of a challenge, but it is worth the effort in the end. Because in terms of taste, this masterpiece is awesome!
Preparation time: 120 min
Baking time: 40 min
Difficulty level: demanding
For this you need:
For the cake batter:
- 170 g soft butter
- 200 g of sugar
- 100 g of brown sugar
- 30 g of oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 320 g flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 170 g cider
- 100 g milk
- 3 springform pans, diameter: 20 cm
For the chocolate frosting:
- 120 g soft butter
- 300 g melted dark chocolate couverture
- 120 g cocoa
- 300 g powdered sugar
- 450 g cream cheese (room temperature)
For the filling:
- 1 red apple, Gala Royal
- 30 g honey
For the apple decoration:
- 1 red apple, Gala Royal
- 500 g tempered couverture
- 30 g coconut flakes
- 30 g brittle
- 8 wooden skewers, length: 20 cm
For the white ganache:
- 100 g cream
- 250 g white couverture
That is how it goes:
1. Beat the butter, brown and white sugar and oil until frothy. Gradually add eggs and keep beating everything until it has combined well. Then add flour, cider, baking powder, milk, vanilla flavor, salt and cinnamon. Mix everything again with a hand mixer. Divide the dough between the 3 springform pans (approx. 430 g per form) and bake all three forms at 175 ° C for approx. 25 minutes. After baking, let all three baked doughs cool down completely.
2. For the chocolate frosting, melt the dark couverture and add it to the softened butter. Stir in cocoa and powdered sugar. Finally, cream cheese is stirred in until there are no more lumps and the frosting is nice and smooth.
3. Now we come to the apple filling. Core the apple, cut it into eighths and then thinly slices. Add honey to the pan and briefly toss the apples in it while hot. Then let the apples cool.
4. Brush the first cake base with the chocolate frosting. Place the apple slices tossed in honey on the frosting.
5. Put another cake base on top and cover it with chocolate frosting and apples.
6. Put the third and last cake base on top and cover the cake completely with the remaining chocolate frosting.
7. For the apple decoration, peel and cut an apple. Melt the couverture. Now build yourself a kind of breading line (melted couverture, coconut flakes and brittle). Skewer the apple pieces on wooden skewers and pull them through the melted couverture. Then let them drain well and dip half of them in either brittle or coconut flakes (you can “bread” them all individually or all at the same time using the trick shown in the video).
8.Heat cream – Caution: Not let it boil – and pour it over the finely chopped white couverture. Mix everything with a rubber spatula until everything is well combined. Let everything cool down a bit and then run the white ganache over the cake so that drops run down all around.
9. Place the apple wedges with brittle and coconut flakes alternately on top of the cake.
The masterpiece is ready! A challenging recipe that will definitely garner a lot of praise and recognition. Apple pie just always works and in this version it will definitely be remembered for a long time.
If you’re in the mood for creative apple pie, you should also take a look at the following recipe: Apple pie with salted caramel.