15 people showing their imperfect bodies
As a professional photographer, Waleed Shah makes a living from taking beautiful pictures of beautiful people in wonderful landscape scenarios. But when he went through a time when he was uncomfortable in his own skin, it changed the way he looked at other bodies.
Here are emotional stories that really inspire you. (Scroll down to the article.)
He started a series of photos he called “Rock your Ugly”. The results are touching, sad, beautiful – and definitely not “ugly”.
1. This woman has suffered from a skin disease since she was 14 years old. She has carried this innocent description with joy ever since a child said she had the map of the world on her back.
2. “I was born with a heart defect and had my first operation when I was less than a year old. The scar is eight inches long. When I was growing up, I always compared myself to other girls who didn’t have such an ugly scar. “
3. “I was 14 when my mother noticed that my breasts were different sizes under my T-shirt. She asked, ‘Sarah, what’s wrong with your breasts?’ Over the years I have seen many doctors, but none of them took me seriously. I started to hate my body. “
4. “I thought our friendship would last forever. But one day she said, ‘Why don’t you exercise and lose weight, then your body will look better?’ I stopped eating and when I ate something I would vomit again. I’ve been struggling with this eating disorder for two years. “
5. “I started scratching myself when I was twelve. I often had arguments with my mother. She always wanted a stereotypical daughter. I think she couldn’t accept that it just wasn’t me. “
6. “The other day I told my boyfriend that I was fat as a child, and I looked up old photos of myself. That’s when I realized that most of the time I wasn’t fat at all. But when I was in elementary school I was known as ‘the fat one’ and my friends as ‘the pretty one’ and since then I have always been insecure. “
7. “Whenever I’m on social media, I’m very frustrated. It makes you believe that your own life is crap. Everyone else posts happy pictures and you always think you’re missing out. Everyone there has their own problems that they have to go through. I’m sick of thinking I’m missing something. “
8. “I did all the beauty things that are considered normal, and before I knew how, I got to laser hair removal. I became a regular there until my skin was damaged and finally burned. “
9. “Since I was a child, I have been taught that men want to marry thin girls. But life is very short and you don’t owe it to anyone. Why should I waste precious time worrying about things that won’t mean anything in a few years? Instead, we should put more effort into what makes us happy. “
10. “The bullying lasted until I changed schools after 10th grade. After school, I was a completely different girl. Where I hadn’t cared about my appearance before, now I thought I needed plastic surgery. This thought quickly became an obsession and it still torments me today. “
11. “I was diagnosed with depression when I was 16 years old. When you’ve had something for so long, it’s hard to tell yourself apart from your illness. I went to therapy and meditated and for a while I was fine. Then I broke my ankle several times last year and had to sit in a wheelchair for 3 months. That’s when I started digging deeper and questioning my whole life. “
12. “As a child I fell out of bed and broke my jaw. The doctors just sewed me up and sent me home. As I got older, my face began to grow to one side and my chin shifted. It was clearly visible. Even today I pay attention to which side of the face I show someone. “
13. “I am often offended for my nose. I am told: ‘Have an operation and you will look better!’ “She is no longer ashamed of her nose – she wears it proudly as something that makes her face unique.
14. “When I was 11 months old, I fell out of bed and my arm got caught between the spokes of the heater.”
15. “I was thin, I was fat, I was a weight lifter, but I never felt good about my body.”
Wow! Once again it becomes clear that you cannot see what happened in your life that has left its mark on body and soul. In order to make yourself so vulnerable in public with these images, you need a courage that can only be admired.
Thumbnails: © Instagram / Waleedshah © Instagram / Waleedshah